All Cruise Searches, What's On, Where to Go, Visitor Information and Brochure Rack Widgets can now easily be embedded onto any Business Facebook page. Simply follow one of the guides below to do so.
You will need:
- Administrative rights to the Facebook page you wish to put the Widget on
- The iframe embed code for the Widget, found in the Widget Factory.
Note: the <iframe> code must be used. The <blockquote> code will not work.
The process changes depending on the amount of 'likes' you have on your page. This is due to the new restrictions implemented by Facebook after their recent data breeches.
I have more than 2,000 likes on my page
Please select one of the options below:
- This is the first additional tab you create on Facebook
- You already have one or more tabs added to your Facebook page
Embedding a Widget on your first additional tab on Facebook.
- Go to https://apps.facebook.com/static_html_plus/ and click on the big green button that says ‘Add Static HTML to a Page'.
- Select the page you wish to embed the Widget on from the drop down menu, and click ‘create tab’.
- This will take you to the newly created tab on your Facebook page. Click on the green button that says ‘Set up tab’.
- This is where you will need the embed code for the Widget. In the text area, delete all of the existing text and paste in the embed code. (TIP: if the right-click menu doesn’t work, press ctrl + v on a PC or cmd + v on a Mac to paste).
- The new tab will be called ‘Welcome’ by default. To change this click on ‘Actions’ and then ‘Edit name and image’. Type the desired tab name in the box (for example: "What’s On Guide" or "Visitor Information Centre") and click ‘Save tab name’
- Finally, click the blue button that says ‘Save & Publish’
The Widget will now be live on your Facebook page. Should you wish to embed another Widget, please follow the steps below.
Embedding a Widget when additional tabs have already been added to your Facebook.
To add an additional Widget, you will need to go to this URL, and then follow the same process as before, from step 2.
If you require more tabs, please get in touch.
I have less than, 2,000 likes on my page
The new restrictions on Facebook mean that pages with less than 2,000 likes are not able to add in additional tabs on their page.
As a work-around, we suggest that you take the unique Widget URL, shorten it, and paste it as a Facebook status. You can include an image with your link, track clicks and even pin it right to the top of your page, so that every visitor will see it.
This guide discusses:
- Finding your Widget's unique URL
- Creating a short link
- Adding your link to Facebook
- Pinning a post to Facebook
Finding your Widget's unique URL
You can find the unique URL in the embed code of your Widgets (this could have been given to you by a member of our team, or is available from the Widget Factory 'Preview' tab of that specific Widget'.
In this specific example, the URL we want has been bolded: https://www.widgety.co.uk/widgets/zasi1uDR5itKF7EgSoWF.widget. If you visit it, you will see your Widget, without any of the borders and sizing applied to it.
Creating a short link
The unique URL can actually be used directly on Facebook, but it’s very long, not easy to type out and untrackable, so we suggest that you shorten it. There are loads of ways to do this, but we recommend going to www.bitly.com, which is a free service. If you use Hootsuite for your marketing, they have a service called Ow.ly that you can also use for free, but for the rest of this we will be referring to the bitly website.
Bitly, and most other link shortening platform will provide you with tracking features for this link. This means you'll be able to get stats about that link. It's also easier to share on other social media such as Twitter.
Signing up will also allow you to do a lot more, including customising the shortened URL.
Adding your link to Facebook
- On your page, click on Write a post, in the same way you would usually to share a status.
- Write a description about you new Widget
- Paste in your shortened URL at the end. Facebook will automatically make this a live link that people can click on.
- You can add in a picture to your post by clicking on the + beneath the text.
- To avoid your post disappearing after you post new statuses, you can Pin to your wall, so it stays the first post on your page until it is unpinned. To do so, click on the three dots on the top right of the status, and click on 'Pin to top of page' in the dropdown that will appear.