Brochures and resources are the files which are available to download on our Brochure Racks / Visitor Information Centres. These are uploaded to your page (Place, or Operator). They are also available to clients taking our content via the API.
This article discusses:
- File limits and requirements
- Why is naming your file appropriately important
- How to upload a brochure or resource
File limits and requirements
Before you can start the process of uploading your file to Widgety, you need to make sure it follows the following limits and requirements:
- The file must be below 50MB. This is because our Brochure Racks are available on Mobile, and we want to avoid mobile users having to download files that are too big, which could have a big impact on their data allowance.
- The file should preferably be a PDF. This is because PDFs are an image based document type, which means our system will be able to create a thumbnail for it using the first page of the document. Word documents, for example, are text based, and there is nothing that can be used to create an image for it.
- The file should be something that you are happy for other people to have access to. Currently in development are special permissions and tags so that in the future you can choose who has access to it and who doesn’t.
Why is naming your file appropriately important.
All our Brochure Racks / Visitor Information Centre have a search to allow the user to find what they're looking for easily. This search uses the name of the files to find them. This means that a file which has a non specific name or an in-house naming system may not be found in the search.
First and foremost, your file should start with the name of your business. This is to allow users to find all your brochures and resources by simply typing the name of your business.
Secondly, after your business name, you should provide what the file is actually about. If a brochure, you can simply use the year if it's your main brochure, or include what it is specifically.
Some naming examples:
- YourCompanyName 2018 Brochure (This would be for a general 2018 brochure)
- YourCompanyName Walking Tours (This would be for a brochure specifically featuring information on walking tours. This is a good name because it could also be found in searches including 'Tours' or 'Walking' which people might want to find when looking for specific things instead of a company)
- YourCompanyName Caribbean Cruises 2018 (This would be a brochure featuring cruises in the Caribbean in 2018. This is a good name because it could also be found in searches including 'Caribbean' which someone might want to find if they're interested in a specific area instead of a Cruise Line)
How to upload a brochure or resource
The easiest way is to start from your Dashboard:
- Hover over the block for your Place or Operator. These can be found either in the 'YOUR PLACES' or 'YOUR OPERATOR' sections
- Click on the EDIT button which will appear over it. This will lead you to the edit page of your Place or Operator.
- Go to the section for these files:
- For a Place, is it the Attachments section at the bottom of the page
- For an Operator, it is the Brochures section on the right-hand side
- Click on the Add Attachment (for a Place) or Add Brochure (for an Operator). Click on the Choose File button which will have appeared and select your file. Each file has to be uploaded individually.
- Once you're done, click on Update Place or Update Operator as applicable.
- A pop up will appear asking you to Check your files. This allows you to:
- Rename your file if its name doesn't following the naming guidelines above
- Add a drop off date for it, which is the date you would like this file to be removed from the system. This is useful is you know when this file will no longer be applicable. You can leave this field empty if not
- Select a Type for this file. This is a mandatory field, which is connected to the File Type field next to the search on Brochure Racks / Visitor Information Centres, allowing users to filter the results by type of files instead of just names
- Once you're done, click on CONFIRM at the bottom of the pop up to save your page.